Whether or not your business is growing, increases in production efficiency creates significant opportunities for manufacturers. Increasingly the demand is for more detailed information on how existing assets are performing.
- In growing businesses the pressure is on to increase production capacity, the expensive alternative being investing in new plant.
- For in those not growing, increasing efficiency can mean avoiding costs like overtime; reducing the number of shifts; or reducing the number or lines; and therefore making savings in people costs and energy costs.
- Multi-site manufacturers need to prove their performance in every location. With most manufacturing heading east, sites in the west with higher labour costs have to demonstrate an edge.
OEE is a technique used by many of the world’s leading manufacturing companies. It is a standard indicator that combines performance (are your lines making at their target speed?), machine availability (are they running all the available time?) and quality (is product coming off 100 per cent right-first-time?) as a baseline for improvement. Capturing data on these measures can highlight areas of opportunity to increase production. OEE is not new to the industry, but the data recording and analysis can be difficult, especially when collected manually.
The OEE Module of Shopfloor-Online™ Lifescience Edition provides a solution that lets you:
- Analyse OEE across the whole factory – whether the data is collected manually or automatically directly from the machines
- Drill into the components of OEE: downtime, production efficiency and quality to identify the key losses.
- It also calculates relevant KPIs like Availability, Productivity, Quality Ratio, Utilisation, TEEP, Actual Cycle Time, Actual Speed…
When Used with Other Modules
The OEE module must be used with the Downtime, Production and Spoilage modules to capture the underlying information, the OEE module sits on top of this and provides a level of higher analysis.
- Business gains – Small gains in OEE can have a dramatic effect on capacity and performance, for example it might be possible to improve on-time deliveries, reduce overtime, reduce shifts, avoid or defer asset purchases
- Identify the problems – OEE is calculated and reported and also broken down by Availability, Production and Quality ratios so you can see where the losses are occurring so you can do something about it
- React faster – with real-time data collection, OEE is live so any major losses show up immediately
- Visibility – With dashboard displays and email alerts, ensure high levels of losses don’t go unnoticed
- Save time – With automatic data collection – save time with the collating of information and analysis and remove paper – and get much more detailed information to feed into the Continuous Improvement process.
- History – Provide a detailed history of losses and with the powerful reports allow Continuous Improvement teams to identify areas to work on. Powerful analysis allows you to cut the data many ways and answer questions you can’t answer with a simple analysis, for example – which products give you the greatest problems.
- KPIs – make the OEE KPIs visible in real-time – everyone knows how the plant is performing – now!